Be aware of potential scams when accepting friend requests on Facebook asking for driver license

 A warning tonight to Facebook users. You might have noticed an uptick in friend requests from people you don't even know. Some of those random friend requests could be scammers in disguise.

"I enjoy Facebook because it gave me a chance to meet people I probably wouldn't have met in my life," says Tim Hesh.

Hesh says he went against his better judgment when a friend request showed up in his inbox from a woman in California. "She was supposedly a navy officer that was stationed in San Diego and I have a good friend out there," he says.

Right away they started messaging back and forth.

"All of a sudden she said, well I am going to scan my driver’s license so you can see that I am who I say I am. Then, all I want you to do is scan your driver’s license, which was a big red flag for me," says Hesh.

The Better Business Bureau, BBB, says friend requests like these are an easy way for scammers to reach tens of thousands of people with a click of the mouse. "They can, elicit your sympathy, suck you in very quickly and unless you're on guard all the time, that could create problems for you," says Bill Smith, an investigator with the BBB.

These fake friends can do a lot of damage. Smith says when you accept them, you are giving scammers full access to your personal information. "They can give you links to open that can damage your computer. They can do a variety of things," says Smith.

While Hesh didn't fall for the scam, he says he won't make himself an easy target again. "I only have room for four more friends I can add. I am a little bit more choosey on who I accept," he says.

If you think you've been scammed on Facebook, the BBB says to notify Facebook right away, then make a call to your local BBB office.

Source: http://www.kmov.com/story/30607291/be-aware-of-potential-scams-when-accepting-friend-requests-on-facebook

0 comments:

Post a Comment